Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Teen Tuesday: Alex & Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz


Alex & Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz. 358 p. Alex & Eliza series #1. G.P. Putnam's Sons/ Penguin Young Readers Group, April, 2017. 9781524739621. (Own)

It is 1777 in Albany, New York. Despite the fact that the American Revolution is raging nearby, the Schulyer family is having a grand ball. As the pre-emminent family in the region and with three daughters needing marrying off, other prominent families and dashing officers are invited. Eliza's sisters do not mind, but Eliza can think of other things to do to support the war efforts than a ball, though she is intrigued by the fact that General Washington's famous aide de camp, Alexander Hamilton will be a guest. That changes to fury when she overhears the bad news he brings her father, a general. Nevertheless, there is chemistry between the two. As the war rages on and the two cross paths, a bond grows.

Having been one of the few people to have neither seen Hamilton nor listened to its soundtrack, I cannot answer to whether fans of Hamilton will appreciate this historical romance. It's  a tad slow-moving, but Eliza's intelligence and spunk shine. I happened to enjoy the details about the war and troop movements. I have read some criticism of historical inaccuracies but it's historical fiction! If I wanted accurate history, I'd be read informational literature. I am anxious to hear what my students think. 

Sidenote: I read this with my ears and did not enjoy the narrator's performance much. I reread portions of Alex & Eliza with my eyes and will be reading the next installment that way too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment