Saturday, May 13, 2017

What's New? Stacking the Shelves


Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. Hop on over there to ogle what other bloggers got this week.

Purchased: 

Yellow by Megan Jacobson. 259 p. Penguin Random House Australia, 2016. 9780143573333.

Publisher synopsis: If 14-year-old Kirra is having a mid-life crisis now, then it doesn't bode well for her life expectancy. Her so-called friends bully her, whatever semblance of a mother she had has been drowned at the bottom of a gin bottle ever since her dad left them for another woman, and now a teenage ghost is speaking to her through a broken phone booth.

Kirra and the ghost make a pact. She'll prove who murdered him almost 20 years ago if he does three things for her. He makes her popular, he gets her parents back together, and he doesn't haunt her. Things aren't so simple however, and Kirra realises that people can be haunted in more ways than one.

I actually read this recently with my ears and quite enjoyed it! As I wrote in my review, I wanted to reread to note the lovely language but I also thought my students would enjoy reading it. I have audiobooks in my library collection, most of them donated by me, but very few check them out. I used Gene Luen Yang's "Reading without Walls" theme to booktalk and included Yellow in the "Read an unfamiliar format" section. Students asked for the book. 

I had already placed an order through Book Depository, who was out of stock but awaiting replacement. Even though it was only available in paperback, I will reread and donate the copy so that my students can read it with their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment