Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: The Someday Birds by Sally J. Pla

WoW is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine in which we share the titles we can't wait to release.

I learned about this a week or so ago from Mr. Shu



The Someday Birds by Sally J. Pla. 336 p. HarperCollins Publishers, January 24, 2017. 9780062445766.

Synopsis from author's webpage: Charlie wishes his life could be as predicatable and simple as chicken nuggets.

And it usually is. He has his clean room, his carefully organized bird books and art supplies, his favorite foods, and comfortable routines.

But life has been unraveling since his war journalist father was injured in Afghanistan. And when Dad gets sent from California to Virginia for further medical treatment, Charlie must travel cross-country to meet him. With his boy-crazy sister Davis, his unruly twin brothers and the mysterious Ludmilla at the well, this journey looks anything but smooth.

So Charlie decides that if he can spot all the birds that he and his father were hoping to see in the wild someday, and show that list to dad, then maybe, just maybe, things will turn out okay.

Debut author Sally J. Pla has written a young person's novel that is equal parts madcap road trip, coming-of-age story for a highly unusual boy and uplifting portrait of a family overcoming a crisis. 

This had me at birds. Then, when I learned that Charlie and his dad have a life list, I totally melted into a puddle poolside at the Hyatt while at ALAAC16. I must read this! 

6 comments:

  1. Great pick ~ Hope you enjoy this book!

    Renee My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it could be funny and heartfelt. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice! Happy reading. Here's my WoW if you'd like to stop by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I am just seeing this -- Thank you so much for featuring The Someday Birds! So honored to be on your blog. Thank you -- and I hope you love the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait! I asked if there were arcs @ Annual but they weren't there. Cannot wait to read your book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Have you found an ARC yet? It is on Edelweiss. Otherwise I'd be happy to try and rustle you up a copy. (If you are by chance at #NCTE right now, it is at the HarperCollins table!) :-) Thanks again!

      Delete