Friday, July 22, 2016

Friday Memes: Be Light Like a Bird by Monika Schröder

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.



Be Light Like a Bird by Monika Schröder. 240 p. Capstone Press, August 15, 2016. 9781623707491.

Publisher synopsis: After the death of her father, twelve-year-old Wren finds her life thrown into upheaval. And when her mother decides to pack up the car and forces Wren to leave the only home she's ever known, the family grows even more fractured. As she and her mother work to build a new life, Wren struggles to discover the person she's meant to be without her father by her side. Along the way, she must cope with the difficulty of forgiving those who don't deserve it and discover what it means to be a family-and the secrets and lies that can tear one apart.

First line: This one was still intact. No innards splashed out or bloody tire tracks on the asphalt. (Prologue)

It wasn't the crash that killed my dad when his plane went down over the Atlantic. (Chapter 1)

Page 56: But to attract Carrie's light, I had to get to school early so she could copy my homework.

10 comments:

  1. I am also looking forward to reading this. It sounds so interesting and I'm a big Monika Schroder fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book around! Please read my comment on the Book Blogger Hop section of my Friday Meets and you'll understand exactly what I mean. It does seem like a good read. Hope you enjoy it! http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/friday-meets-22-july-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an emotional read but a good one. The beginning of chapter 1 sounds so matter of factly broken hearted you just have to feel for the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds excellent. I'll have to look for a copy. This week I am spotlighting Seizure by Kathy Reichs since I would like to finish that series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those beginning snippets lured me right in!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "innards" of what? A chicken? A bird? I like the lines shared too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is the target audience of this book? If the protagonist is 12 can I assume this is a middle grade book or is it designed for adults and just has a young kid as the main character. That first quote is quite gripping.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds intriguing yet heart wrenching. I like the excerpts. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I've seen this book - sounds interesting - here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds interesting. :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete