Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

WoW is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine in which we share the titles we can't wait to release.


The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan. Magnus Chase and the gods of Asgard #2. 528 p. Disney Press, October 3, 2016. 9781423160922.

Publisher synopsis: Thor's hammer is missing again. The thunder god has a disturbing habit of misplacing his weapon-the mightiest force in the Nine Worlds. But this time the hammer isn't just lost, it has fallen into enemy hands. If Magnus Chase and his friends can't retrieve the hammer quickly, the mortal worlds will be defenseless against an onslaught of giants. Ragnarok will begin. The Nine Worlds will burn. Unfortunately, the only person who can broker a deal for the hammer's return is the gods' worst enemy, Loki--and the price he wants is very high.

While I enjoyed the first title (The Sword of Summer) in this new series and I am glad Riordan is exploring different mythologies, he's basically writing the same book over and over again. Interestingly, neither this series nor the Kane Chronicles circulate as much as the Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus series. I wonder if it's because my students are more familiar with the mythology. I am eager to see how they react to the new series The Trials of Apollo.

1 comment:

  1. I have really slacked off on my Rick Riordan reads. It is interesting that your students seem to prefer the Heroes of Olympus series. I wonder if it is because they are more familiar with the movies as well. I hope to be able to read this series someday soon. I love Riordan's style so much. Thank you for sharing! :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete