Sunday, August 30, 2015

What's New? Stacking the Shelves


Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. Hop on over there to ogle what other bloggers got this week.

Nothing for review this week, thank goodness. I am so behind. I was away last week and haven't been in to school to check my mailbox there. Made some absolutely essential purchases - must reads (with my ears)!

Purchased:

Stone Wall by Ann Bausum. Unabridged audiobook on compact discs. 3 hours. Narrated by Tim Federle. Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group, May, 2015. 9781101925621.

Publisher synopsis: That’s the Stonewall.
The Stonewall Inn.
Pay attention.
History walks through that door.

In 1969 being gay in the United States was a criminal offense. It meant living a closeted life or surviving on the fringes of society. People went to jail, lost jobs, and were disowned by their families for being gay. Most doctors considered homosexuality a mental illness. There were few safe havens. The Stonewall Inn, a Mafia-run, filthy, overpriced bar in New York City’s Greenwich Village, was one of them.

Police raids on gay bars happened regularly in this era. But one hot June night, when cops pounded on the door of the Stonewall, almost nothing went as planned. Tensions were high. The crowd refused to go away. Anger and frustration boiled over.

The raid became a riot.

The riot became a catalyst.

The catalyst triggered an explosive demand for gay rights.

Ann Bausum’s riveting exploration of the Stonewall Riots and the national Gay Rights movement that followed is eye-opening, unflinching, and inspiring.

I picked the hardcover of this title up at ALA Annual this past July and it will be a while before I can get to it. When I learned that not only was it out as an audio, but was narrated by Tim Federle, I promptly ordered it.


Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray. The Diviners, book 2. Unabridged audiobook on 16 compact discs. 20 hours. Read by January LaVoy. Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group, August 25, 2015. 9780449808771.

Publisher synopsis: After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to "read" objects, and therefore, read the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title, "America's Sweetheart Seer." But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners' abilities...
Meanwhile, mysterious deaths have been turning up in the city, victims of an unknown sleeping sickness. Can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld and catch a killer?

I was absolutely enthralled with The Diviners, which I read with my eyes. It is pretty much a high school read and I've got a tbr stack that is fairly large, so, I'll be reading book 2 with my ears.

That's what's new with me. What's new with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment