Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday - The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle

WoW is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine in which we share the titles we can't wait to release. 

Tim Federle has carved out a space in my heart and will remain there forever. Not only is he an incredible writer - drink recipes (!), middle grade fiction (!), picture books (!), he is an incredibly positive and kind person, not to mention handsome as hell, witty, brilliant and articulate. Plus, he can dance.

I fell in love with him before I even read his middle grade debut, Better Nate Than Ever because I finally, finally had a middle grade friendly GLBTQ-themed book. Not that this is the thrust of the novel. (Nate is perceived as gay and bullied but he's not sure yet.) But I have a shelf full of YA and until Drama by Reina Telgemeier arrived on the scene a year or so ago, the only other book I had for middle grade readers was It's So Hard to Say by Alex Sanchez. Feel free to let me know of others I may have missed in the comments. With Five, Six, Seven, Nate! I had more. Now, I have Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky on my nightstand and George by Alex Gino in my backpack for reading on the plane home from San Francisco. These two portray the experience of transgender tweens. Hopefully, more middle grade friendly books are in the pipes.

But, what am I waiting on? You may be wondering. A few weeks ago, The Huffington Post unveiled the cover of Tim's next book coming next March from Simon & Schuster. It's his first YA and I couldn't be more excited. I ran into Tim at a Simon & Schuster thing at ALA Annual and after collecting my hug, got to talk a bit about The Great American Whatever. 

Here's a link to the Huff Post article and here's the absolutely fabulous cover.

What are you waiting on?

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds like a good one! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete