Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by Broke and Bookish. This week's theme is "Sequels I'm looking forward to reading."

As a school librarian who only reads children and young adult literature, I try to read across genres and don't always have the time to read sequels or later books in many series. There are some that so capture my heart that I can't resist squeezing them in to my busy reading schedule. Some are already out and some are due out; half are YA and half are middle grade.



Winter by Marissa Meyer. I read Scarlet and Cress together (that's how far behind I got) this past summer thinking that the Lunar Chronicles were a trilogy. Imagine my surprise, then, as I was reaching the end and realized there was no resolution in sight! I love the world that Meyer has created. As you can see, there is no cover yet and it's not due to drop until November of 2015! In January, a prequel, Fairest: Levanna's Story is being released.



Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. I was so, so impressed by Hartman's debut, Seraphina back in 2012. So was the Morris Committee, as it won the Morris Award. Seraphina's sequel, Shadow Scale isn't due to drop until March though.



Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers. The conclusion of His Fair Assassin trilogy focuses on Annith as she learns, to her horror, that the Mother Superior has no intention of sending her out of the convent on any missions, but expects her to become the next seeress.



The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud. Lockwood & Co., book 2 released this past September. I could've sworn that I ordered it for my library but just now realize that I did not and need to remedy that situation asap. I read The Screaming Staircase, one rip-roaring yarn with both my eyes and my ears. 



Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater. Raven Cycle #3. Oh my, but Maggie Stiefvater is such a world builder! 

On the middle grade side:



Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams-Garcia is due out in April of 2015. I just adore the Gaither girls and they're back in a third installment.



Fallen Soldiers by Chris Lynch. Vietnam book 5. The four best friends who made a promise to each other that if one got drafted to serve in Vietnam, they all would go, captured and broke my heart. I need to read this one for closure.


Smek for President by Adam Rex. I am so excited for this sequel to The True Meaning of Smek Day. I first read it with my ears and just laughed my way through it thanks to Bahni Turpin's brilliant narration.


The Eye of Zoltar by Jasper Fforde. Chronicles of Kazam #3. Love the voice and world building of these.


The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. Heroes of Olympus #5. I found the last book, The House of Hades, a bit bloated and was going to pass on the last installment. My kids love them and I need to buy two copies and there is usually a waiting list for any and all of the author's books. They assure me that the final volume is not to be missed, so I will most likely read it. Eventually. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I'll read Blue Lily, Lily Blue or not. I want to find out what happens with the prophecy, but I almost didn't finish the second book, so... we'll see.

    ReplyDelete