Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Memes - Loot: how to steal a fortune by Jude Watson

Book Beginnings is hosted bRose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.


Loot: how to steal a fortune by Jude Watson. 266 p. Scholastic Press/ Scholastic Inc., June, 2014. 9780545468022.

Publisher synopsis: On a foggy night in Amsterdam, a man falls from a rooftop to the wet pavement below. It's Alfie McQuinn, the notorious cat burglar, and he's dying. As sirens wail in the distance, Alfie manages to get out two last words to his young son, March: "Find jewels."
But March learns that his father is not talking about a stash of loot. He's talking about Jules, the twin sister March never knew he had. No sooner than the two find each other, they're picked up by the police and sent to the world's worst orphanage. It's not prison, but it feels like it.
March and Jules have no intention of staying put. They know their father's business inside and out, and they're tired of being pushed around. Just one good heist, and they'll live the life of riches and freedom most kids only dream about.
Watch out! There are wild kids on the loose and a crime spree coming . . .
 
First line: No thief likes a full moon.

Page 56: Darius tilted his head. He regarded March the way a lion might eye a gazelle, planning the fun of running it down before ripping its throat open.

I also love how the book is dedicated: "To bad children everywhere."

7 comments:

  1. Isn't that something? He wasn't talking about "jewels." He was talking about "Jules." I find that interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds great! I love this misunderstanding - Jewels vs Jules. The excerpts are really descriptive. I'll definitely have to keep a lookout for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He really likes March. She's very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun adventure. I love the confusion -- jewels vs. Jules. Clever!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: REMIX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I am laughing. Dedicated to bad children everywhere. That is funny.

    This sounds like a good book. Funny as well as intense. I like it.

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun book. Love that dedication.

    I've been away from the meme for a while, but trying to get back in the swing of things. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I love that dedication too!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete