Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorites of 2014

TTT is hosted by Broke and Bookish each week. This week's theme is top ten best books so far in 2014.

It seems to be a shaping up to be a strong year for middle grade as I realize that eight of my favorites so far this year happen to be middle grade. Of the two YA titles, one was published in November of 2013, so technically, it's not a 2014 title. Still, I'm including it because it's my blog (and I read it this year).

YA:
Champion by Marie Lu. Such a satisfying conclusion to a smart, smart trilogy.


Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor. Another smart trilogy with a satisfying ending. Honestly, I never wanted to leave the world Laini Taylor created.

MG:
Five, Six, Seven, Nate! by Tim Federle. This sequel to Better Nate Than Ever! was funny and endearing. Both books are must purchase.


Zane and the Hurricane by Rodman Philbrick.

Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord. Another winner by Ms. Lord. Her books are always unique. This one's getting some discussion over on the Goodreads Newbery group.


Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages #2) by K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr. Give this series to your fans of Percy Jackson.
The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer. I just realized that I never did write a review of this luminous debut. Give to your patrons who thrive on sad books. So sad but such a great story about grief and healing and forgiveness.


The Meaning of Maggie by Megan Jean Sovern. Another promising debut I failed to review.


Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Making Money by Tommy Greenwald. This one's not due out till late August so my review won't post till late July. Suffice it to say that Charlie Joe continues to entertain. I think I heard that he's working on a guide to girls.

And for a little nonfiction:
Babe Conquers the World: the legendary life of Babe Didrikson Zaharias by Rich Wallace and Sandra Neill Wallace.

ETA: I totally forgot about We Were Liars by E.L. Lockhart, which I actually read in late 2013 but just recently released. Excellent read!

Leave a link to your top ten in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Lots of surprises on this list. Thank you!

    Here's my Best Books So Far This Year! Hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard any of these yet, but I'll go check them out! :)

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to finish Laini Taylor's trilogy. I've only read the first book so far (and I loved it)!

    ReplyDelete