Monday, April 14, 2014

Non-Fiction Monday: Discover More Titanic by Sean Callery


Discover More: Titanic by Sean Callery. 111p. Scholastic Discover More Series. Scholastic Inc., February, 2014. 9780545505123. (Finished copy courtesy of publisher for review.)

I must admit to sighing when I saw this entry in the Discover More series. I have really enjoyed the entries so far and asked myself, "Do I really need another Titanic book?" Interest in this disaster certainly ebbs and flows over the years I've been a school librarian. Some years, it seems I can't have enough and other years, what I do have languishes. Interestingly, circulation did not spike back in 2012, the centennial of the sinking.

The Discover More series is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as each entry consistently interests and pleases. Titanic is no different. A boatload of information is packed between the covers. Everything from the rivalry between transatlantic ocean lines to the reasons why people immigrated to America to the nitty-gritty of the construction of the Titanic and more, all accompanied by fascinating drawings and photographs. Side bars provide additional resources, mini-glossaries and suggestions of places to visit and people to look up. Each chapter asks the reader to ponder questions and then provides evidence but allows the reader to draw his or her own conclusions. The bonus E-book contains five survival stories. 

This would be good for report writers and perfect for your fact hounds to devour for its many bits of trivia and wonder.





No comments:

Post a Comment