Monday, July 1, 2013

ALA Annual Recap, Part 1

It's not a good idea to assume. Ass/u/me. This silly little saying about assuming, is apt. I like to travel light. So I just packed my trusty, first generation iPad and arrived in Chicago to discover that it is too old to install the blogger app that would enable me to blog on my iPad! Ack. 

So here's a befuddled recap before everything fades from memory:

Day One: My travel to Chicago was not without glitches, (delays and weird limo driver) but I made it in time (despite Blackhawk celebratory parade) to attend the YA Bloggers preconference. That was an interesting blend of bloggers, publishers and authors who blog. I gained some insights but still have some questions.

I went a party hosted by Walden Pond Press (thank you Kellie) that featured some fun middle grade fiction by Chris Rylander and Anne Ursu, appetizers, and specialty drinks named after two of the books. 

I can't keep Rylander's Fourth Stall books on the shelf. Not that I want to, actually. This past year, the books were particularly popular among fifth and sixth grade boys.

Anne Ursu's books appeal to thoughtful, middle-grade fantasy readers. I loved Breadcrumbs and am so looking forward to reading, The Real Boy. Score.

Also, met John Coy and his wife at the party. They are friends with Anne Ursu and were there to cheer her, but it was nice to talk about Hoop Genius and Box Out. This is the plus side of attending events solo. It's a time to put oneself out there to connect. 

Day Two: AKA, conference mismanagement, part one. 

Best Websites for Teaching. Even though these are compiled in a web page here, it was nice to hear the various sites talked about in person. 

I like to sit in on the Best Fiction for Young Adults (BFYA) and the Notable Children's Books committee discussions. They, unlike other award discussions, are open to the public. I especially like sitting in on the Teen Feedback session. Man, teens are passionate about their books. Yeah, I always knew that, but this is beautiful to behold. 

Anyway, I assumed (there's that word again) that the discussions were going to be held in the hotel adjacent to the convention center. Ahem. They were not. They were off-site. Way off-site. Inconveniently off-site.

So I walked the exhibit hall and tried not to be greedy about arcs. I stopped and read the summary of arcs that were set out. I didn't just grab and run. I may have left some treasures behind, but I constantly reminded myself of the arcs that are still staring me down in my bedroom. Unread. Bereft. I did make a list of arcs I was interested in reading and set about asking for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment