Saturday, March 30, 2013

What's New? Stacking the Shelves

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga of Tynga's Reviews. Pop on over there to share your new books and ogle what other bloggers got.

This week was a budget-buster but they were all pre-ordered. I had actually forgotten about them so opening the two boxes was a bit like opening presents on two afternoons this week.


Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz. (Gatekeepers #5) 590 p. Scholastic Press, April 1, 2013. 9780439680042.

I enjoyed this series despite the fact that each installment seemed to take forever to come out. I don't have the luxury of rereading a series so I hope that some recapping is in this hefty volume. I might just have to donate it to my library before I read it because I have an eighth grader making his way through the series now.


Pieces by Chris Lynch. 168 p. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, February 2, 2013. 9781416927037.

This one has been out for a while, but I ordered it at the same time as the pre-orders, so I had to wait since I'm all about free shipping. I am really looking forward to reading this one. Lynch does more in 168 pages than most authors do in, um, 590.


Iceman by Chris Lynch. 152 p. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, March 5, 2013. 9781442460027.

Of course, I had to buy this reissue (published a month after its sequel - well, companion, but, never mind) 1. because I don't have it in my library and 2. even if I did, the cover of the out of print version is ghastly.


Period 8 by Chris Crutcher. 276 p. Greenwillow Books/ HarperCollins Publishers, March 26, 2013. 9780061914805.

At last! A new book by Chris Crutcher. 'Nuff said.


Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick. 262 p. Roaring Brook Press, February 5, 2013. 9781596438002.

Sadly, I never got around to reading Sedgwick's Printz Honor-winning, Revolver. This one is getting such uniformly spectacular reviews that I simply must read it. And, isn't that cover amazing?


Clementine and the Spring Trip by Sara Pennypacker. Illustrated by Marla Frazee. 150 p. Disney/ Hyperion Books, March 5, 2013. 9781423123576.

I have adored this little third grader since her first book released in 2006. I was in a K - 8 school then. I read the first chapter aloud to all the students, including the older grades. I used it as an example of voice. When I made the move to my present school (5 - 8 middle), I was tickled to find Clementine on the shelf. They don't circulate much but I'm glad she's there.

That's it for me. I continue to drown in books and couldn't be happier. What's new with you?

Happy reading.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of any of those, but they look great! Hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Marcus Sedgewick looks quite intriguing :D

    My STS

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete