Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today's theme is top ten books I recommend the most.

Ack! Much of my day is spent doing reader's advisory with kids. Sometimes, they come in with those dang lists that a program spits out supposedly based on a combination of their reading level and their interests (don't get me started) and there is no reader's advisory. Hopefully, I have some of the books on the spit list. Many of the titles are fairly old and not only not in my collection but not readily available through InterLibrary Loan. 

Sometimes a student comes in in saying, "I need to find a (insert genre here). That's fine. I can work with that. My favorite is when the student has no idea what they want to read. That interview can take some time and usually begins with me asking, "What was the name of the last book you really liked?" as well walk the shelves.

Here's a list of the latest books that I have either made an effort to booktalk to larger groups of students or sent out email blasts to staff:

YA: 
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Admittedly, there will not be many middle school students sophisticated enough to handle this one although I did have one eighth grade girl (the very one I imagined would read it) read it and rave about it. Quite of few of my colleagues have read it.

Butter by Erin Jade Lange
I Swear by Lane Davis
Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman


MG: 
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Pi in the Sky by Wendy Mass

Picture Books:
! (Exlamation Mark) by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld
Phoebe & Digger by Tricia Springstubb

No comments:

Post a Comment