Monday, January 21, 2013

Non-Fiction Monday: I Have a Dream by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


Illustrated by Kadir Nelson. unpgd. Schwartz & Wade Books/ Random House Children's Books, October, 2012. 9780375858871. (Borrowed from the public library.)

I am sure this incredible book is going to appear on a lot of blogs today, Martin Luther King's birthday (observed). It's featured as "The Book of the Day," on the home page of my public library cooperative. 

Kadir Nelson excerpted Dr. King's famous "I Have a Dream" speech and made the already powerful words zing. Seriously, I want to melt into these paintings. Warmth and energy emanates throughout - whether the painting is a portrait of the King children, anonymous faces in the crowd, or landscapes of the peaks referenced in the peaks.

Make room on those already crowded shelves of material to acknowledge Dr. King. This one's a must-purchase all the way through high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment